Saturday, December 8, 2018

Beaded Felt Wreath

Hi guys! Have you seen Purl Soho's Winter Wreath Kit? I think it's sooo cute! I wanted to get one last year, but I was too busy making other things. Then I wanted it again this fall, but I didn't want to spend $96. I'm so easily distracted by new ideas, maybe I wouldn't get around to making it if I had to wait to receive it in the mail. But I kept thinking about it and wanting to make one! But $96 - what if my focus shifted to some shiny, new project by the time it arrived? This debate happened every time I saw the tab for Purl Soho's website on my phone. 

My finished wreath

Finally this inner debate was resolved when I went to Hobby Lobby and saw some good, sturdy, 2mm-thick craft felt. I knew right then that I would make my own wreath, inspired by the beautiful Purl Soho kit. I bought several sheets of red felt and picked up a foam wreath for the base. 



Since my husband was out of town, I was busy with my kids all the time and I had to wait a couple days to get started, but luckily my focus never wavered. I kept thinking of how I would attach the flowers, and the different flower shapes that I wanted to make, and whether or not to cover the foam first. 

I decided to wrap the foam with strips of felt, using hot glue to attach it. It does not look that pretty, but only little bits peek through the flowers, so it worked out fine. I didn't want to see bright white foam beneath the flowers. 


Next I started making the flowers. At first I cut out separate petals, but I realized that it would get pretty bulky in the middle if I had to stitch or glue them all together. It is better to cut out the whole flower in one piece, and layer more shapes on top. 

My original petals idea - don't do it this way!

I have plenty of beads already, so I didn't need to buy any more. I got out my red, white, black, and silver beads and tried different designs on each flower. No two are the same, but the color palette is limited, so they all go together. I was able to easily sew through two or three layers of felt at a time. (It might have been a pain to get through all those separate petals sewn together, if I had gone that route.) 


I really like the effect of layering different shapes on top of the flower cut-outs!


For some, I cut circles and then cut out thin notches all around the edges to make them look like daisy petals. Layering these circles made really cute flowers.


I also used embroidery floss to embellish some of the flowers. It was hard to stop - I could have added so much more decoration to each flower! But I love how it looks with only one color of felt and the mostly-plain petals with sparkly centers. 





Then I attached the flowers to the wreath. I sorted them by shape, so I could distribute the different types fairly evenly. I hot glued the larger ones on first and then filled in with the smaller flowers. If you use a soft wreath form, you could sew the flowers on instead of gluing them. 

After I was done attaching all my flowers, I had to make seven or eight more to fill the wreath all the way (after I had done a good job of cleaning up all my supplies! Lesson: leave all your craft supplies out in case you need them again. YES, ALL OF THEM. Oh wait, you want a sane, clean house? I can't help you). It's a little hard to predict how many will be needed. I had tried to lay them out and guess, but I ended up putting them closer together than I originally thought I would. Luckily, I think it's fun to make felt flowers, so I didn't mind.

On the back, I added a ring to hang it. I hot glued a strip of felt over a metal split ring (from a key ring). You could glue or sew on a loop of fabric or yarn, if you don't have a split ring.

Voila! My beaded felt wreath is finished! I love it and would maybe make a white one, too, if I didn't have a bunch of sewing and knitting plans queued up already! Ooh, and a black one with black and metallic beads... 







Monday, April 16, 2018

Geodesic Sweatshirt

Hi guys! Here is my cropped Geodesic sweatshirt. The pattern is from Blueprints for Sewing. It has two views: a longer one, with pockets, and this cropped version. 


I used a lightweight charcoal french terry. The dark color makes it a little difficult to see the design, but try this closer view:

The construction is cool and it's fun to make! It's made of multiple triangles joined together. Taylor's designs are all interesting and smart. Her instructions are great and the clothes turn out really well.  



Here, I'm wearing it over my crazy Willamette shirt, but it's also cute with high-waisted pants. Next winter I definitely want to make a longer version, possibly with a few different colored fabrics to show off the triangles.